Tell me, friend… how well do you sleep?
Joe and I recently switched out all of our linens and bedding to bamboo. I’m not even kidding: we’ve been having the best sleep of our lives!
I used to swear by cotton sheets, and now I am 100% sure I will never go back. Bamboo is the way to go and I’ll summarize in 5 key points why it’s better than cotton:￼
1. It’s softer: we used to swear by Egyptian cotton sheets. Viscose from bamboo has been compared to some of the most luxurious fabrics on earth like silk and Egyptian cotton but costs MUCH less. If you have sensitive skin, bamboo is hypo-allergenic and can be worn by anyone without causing any allergic reactions or skin irritation. I’ve known people to react to cotton, as it is not always sensitive skin friendly.
2. It’s stronger: bamboo is one of the strongest, most affordable fabrics. It easily beats cotton in keeping shape, strength, and durability. The care methods are simple, and bamboo fibers require less dye than cotton for coloration (hence staying bright significantly longer!)
3. It’s more absorbent/breathable: Bamboo is 40% more absorbent than even the finest organic cotton, wicking moisture away from the skin and keeping you dry and comfortable even on the hottest days of summer. Bamboo can take in three times more water than its weight, which is insane! No more sweaty sheets!
4. It stays cleaner and doesn’t smell: bamboo has antimicrobial properties referred to as “Bamboo Kun”. These natural antimicrobial bio-agents make help reduce bacteria that thrive on clothing and other materials as well as on the human skin.
5. It’s better for the environment: Bamboo is grown without pesticides, whereas cotton requires 1/3 pounds of fertilizer per pound and can be determined to use 25% of all chemical pesticides used on American crops. Even organic cotton isn’t perfect, experiencing more crop waste than bamboo which is naturally resistant to insects or infecting pathogens. Bamboo requires no irrigation, requiring 1/3 the amount of water to grow than is necessary for cotton. Bamboo is also miraculously self-replenishing: it will sprout on its own and one acre of bamboo will yield 10 times more than one acre of cotton.
So, what do you think? Are you ready to make the switch and up your sleep game?
* This post was sponsored by Bed Voyage. They have the softest, luxury bamboo bedding + towels and our life is better because of this discovery. Thank you!